Floods are responsible for more property damage than any other force of nature in Washington. In 2014, the Department of Ecology granted close to eleven million dollars to Washington State’s most prone flood zones, but there is only so much these measures can do by means of prevention. To avoid flood damage in Olympia, advanced preparation is necessary to make it through the year warm and dry.
To help reduce the impact of heavy rain on any property, utilize this list of the following flood damage prevention tips.
- Install Check Valves in Drains – Check valves will alert to problems with water flow and provide a heads-up that sewage lines require debris removal.
- Have a Sandbag Plan – Purchase sandbags and learn how to use them for optimal floodwater protection. Every property is different, so be sure to check with a professional to assist with your individual situation.
- Ensure the Property is Properly Landscaped – Maintaining the landscaping of the property will prevent water from accumulating around the foundation. Ensure that adequate drainage systems are installed and keep them free from debris. Plant vegetation that resists erosion as well.
- Make the Property Water Resistant – There are materials that can be applied to any home or building to provide a water-resistant barrier. You can apply these yourself or hire professionals who specializes in flood-proofing to do the job.
- Protect Electrical Appliances – Use cement blocks to elevate electrical appliances and other delicate equipment such as the water heater, washer, dryer, furnace and oil tank. Flood shields can also be installed around things that cannot be raised.
- Get a Sump-Pump System – In the case of basements, a sump-pump is a must. If there isn’t one already, have one installed and keep it maintained.
- Move Valuable Items above Ground Level – To minimize the damage to your valuables, such as photo albums, keepsakes, high-end furniture, jewelry, and other treasured items, keep them on a second floor or higher, if possible. If flooding does enter the home, this will help protect the things that matter most.
For help with any of the aforementioned Olympia flood damage prevention methods, give Puget Services a call at (888) 435-1212. We offer a full range of property maintenance services to meet your needs.